Friday, November 28, 2008

Gluten Free Pancake Success!

Holy Beautiful Buckwheat, Batman!

I just made great gluten-free pancakes. Not just good, but GRRRReat.

Now, I know what you're thinking. Pancakes shouldn't be hard. Flour + heat-activated leavening + milk + egg, right? Totally.

However, the last time I tried to make them, I found some recipe that said 2 tsp of baking powder. (I might have also experimented with the flours, but when do I not?) That last batch of pancakes was barely edible in my book. They took forever to cook because they were rising so fast -- like hungry and hollow ghosts from the grave.

The experience traumatized me.

Fast forward to this batch. Heavenly!! I confess that the recipe is based (but modified) on the one I found in The Gluten-Free Vegetarian Kitchen. Instead of using ALL buckwheat, I substituted rice flour and potato starch. Rice flour because it's free. (89 cents at the Asian markets) Potato starch because I've been hankering to use the potato starch for something and potato pancakes are a good thing. Also, pure buckwheat is just too darn darn and heavy for both Jason and I. He often mixes in 1/3 cup or less of buckwheat into the mixes we have just to get a hint of flavor without feeling overwhelmed. It really works for us. Trust us.

I think what really, really, makes these pancakes is the play of the 1/4 cup of buckwheat versus the nutmeg. That + the earthy sweetness of the brown sugar meant that we could eat them directly from the pan without condiments like syrup or berries. They were perfect entities all by themselves. Even Grete flipped for them -- following Jason and I around begging for another bite.

I am so proud of myself.

Heck, this is even more exciting: I took notes!! I can recreate these! Bring on gluten free bunch. I got this one nailed.

Here's the recipe:

1/2 c white rice flour
1/4 c potato starch
1/4 c bucketwheat flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
2 tbsp brown sugar
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
3/4 c fat free milk
1 egg

No comments: