Friday, November 21, 2008

iphone 2.2

About 2 hours ago, I was waiting for the bus. As I sat waiting with 8 other people for a bus that seemed a little late, I futzed around with metro's bus tracker on the iPhone. Or I should say, I attempted to futz around with it. It didn't really enlighten me.

About 1 hour ago, I was sitting on the company shuttle wondering if there was an iPhone app that would make finding out bus statuses easier. There were a couple, but they weren't free.

14 minutes ago, I received a very exciting email from Apple. Updates to the Maps application include: "Public Transit and Walking Directions. Get walking directions, find public transit schedules, check fares, and estimate your travel time."

Here's the Gizmodo write-up: iPhone 2.2 Update Review: Go Get It Now

I'm super excited. This is the second odd coincidence in my life in the past 24 hours. (I still need to post about yesterday's creepy coincidence.)

* Now... If you know me well, you're probably wondering why I care. I generally don't look at the bus schedule before heading out the door, preferring not to rush and preferring not to know if I just missed one. I do, however, succumb to the anxiousness of crowds. This morning, my spidey sense told me that something might be amiss with the bus. Also, given that I had to stand until the bus got to Fremont, I kept wondering if there was another less crowded bus just minutes behind us.

1 comment:

cafejay said...

I was watching the buses come through Greenlake this morning on the metro tracking tool. The 9:15 vanished, leaving a gap from 9:01 to 9:20 which widened by the time the bus reached our stop. The next bus wasn't catching up in time to help you, but I bet they both reached downtown at about the same time. That's the trouble with the 358 after 8:25; it bunches up and leaves 30 minute gaps.