Sunday, September 21, 2008

Boy, Dough

When my fiance was first diagnosed with Celiac Disease, I somehow hit home runs (or almost home runs) with my attempts at gluten-free bread. However, as of late, I've been trying harder and harder to get a less-doughy result. I've tried dropping one egg from the recipe. I've tried leaving out a 1/4 cup of water. (Most recipes call for 1.25 cups of water, so I just round down to 1.) I've tried baking it for an extra 10-20 minutes. (This just resulted in an extra hard crust.)

I have a sinking feeling it is in the ingredients. Namely the flours I'm using. Today I tried to liven things up with some gluten-free oats and millet flour. This, in combination with the brown rice flour and a meager amount of potato starch, should have made a decent bread -- and it did, but it's still too damp for my taste. It's just too doughy.

1 comment:

cafejay said...

I still ate 1/3 of the loaf within an hour of it coming out of the bread machine. And yesterday's batch made some amazing french toast!
Yesterday's Loaf